Team Profile - Motherwell Football Club
In 1895 Motherwell FC moved from their ground at Dalziel Park and took up residence at Fir Park. In the same year the Scottish FA used the venue for Scotland's international match with Wales.
In 1962 the current main stand was officially opened and the transfer fee gained from Ian St John's move to Liverpool largely paid for its construction.
The stand was never fully completed and it only extends two thirds of the way along the pitch as a local resident complained that the stand would block out sunlight.
The protruding steel girders at the far end are the only evidence of the original planned length of the stand.
In 1993 a large stand was completed for the away support behind one goal and the following year a smaller stand was built at the opposite end of the ground (now known as the Davie Cooper stand).
Directions to Fir Park
The Steelmen were formed in 1886 after two works teams called Glencairn and Alpha merged together.
Motherwell first moved to their present stadium, Fir Park, in 1896 and in 1952 the record attendance was set when 35,632 packed the ground for the visit of Rangers.
Motherwell won the League Championship in 1932, the League Cup in 1950 and have won the Scottish Cup on two occasions - 1952 and 1991.
Their record win came in 1954 with a 12-1 defeat of Dundee United. The club are the biggest of the four Lanarkshire sides and have been a constant participant in the top flight for the past 20 years.
Record since the SPL began
1998/99 - 7th
1999/00 - 4th
2000/01 - 8th
2001/02 - 11th
2002/03 - 12th
2003/04 - 6th
2004/05 - 6th
2005/06 - 8th
2006/07 - 10th
2007/08 - 3rd
2008/09 - 7th
2009/10 - 5th
2010/11 - 6th
First SPL game
Motherwell 1-0 St Johnstone - Aug 1, 1998
Hearts: Job losses expected ...
McNamara's Partick return pr...
Hearts placed into administr...
Kilmarnock: Allan Johnston t...
Fans group hopeful over bid
Hearts enter administration
Consortium make Hearts offer...
Brechin first up for Rangers...